La Aurora Zoo also known as Parque Zoológico Nacional La Aurora Zoological Park in Guatemala City. The Zoo Park is the largest in Guatemala City.
Founded in 1924, the zoo features native and exotic animal habitats, plus demonstrations and activities. In 2017, the zoo received the “Zoo of the Year” award from the Association of Zoo and Aquariums of the Americas.
La Aurora Zoo is a family tourist attraction to visit this zoo it takes a day tour to cover the entire area. La Aurora is the best zoo in Central America and one of the Top 10 Zoos in America. La Aurora Zoo is one of the best things to do in Guatemala City.
La Aurora Zoo is home to approximately 2,500 animals from 287 different species from America, Asia, Oceania, and Africa. including mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, and amphibians.
The zoo is divided into three main areas:
Asia Area: This area is home to animals from Asia, such as Bengal tigers, elephants, birds, red pandas, and gorillas. There are also two huge white rhinos, a brown bear, macaques, an anteater, and Indian flying foxes. it is a part of the zoo that features a diverse range of species found across Asia. This section is both an educational and exciting opportunity to learn about Asian wildlife.
Americas Area: This area is home to animals from the Americas, such as jaguars, anteaters, pumas toucans, different species of monkeys such as spider monkeys or howler monkeys, colorful macaws, toucans, and caimans.
Africa Area: The Africa area at La Aurora Zoo is dedicated to showcasing animals native to the continent of Africa region. this area is home to animals from Africa, such as lions, zebras, giraffes, hippos, rhinoceroses, various species of antelopes, and an assortment of colorful birds and elephants. this Africa phase offer tourist to explore and learn about the diverse wildlife found in different regions of Africa.
The zoo offers a variety of activities and attractions for visitors, including:
Guided Tours: Visitors can join a guided zoo tour to learn more about the animals.
Animal Feeding: Visitors can feed some zoo animals, such as elephants, giraffes, and lions.
Animal Shows: The zoo offers several animal shows, including bird shows, reptile shows, and dolphin shows.
Playground: The zoo has a garden where children can play and have fun.
What to see and do at La Aurora Zoo
La Aurora Zoo is home to over 2,100 animals from all over the world. Some of the most popular exhibits include:
- The African savanna, where you can see lions, tigers, elephants, and giraffes
- The Americas exhibit, where you can see jaguars, tapirs, and macaws
- The Asian exhibit, where you can see orangutans, pandas, and komodo dragons
- The reptile house, where you can see snakes, lizards, and turtles
- The aquarium, where you can see sharks, sea turtles, and tropical fish
In addition to the animal exhibits, La Aurora Zoo also has a children’s playground, a picnic area, and a food court.
What to Expect at La Aurora Zoo
- Animal Exhibits: The zoo boasts a wide variety of animals from different continents. You’ll find big cats like jaguars, exotic birds, primates, reptiles, and more.
- Interactive Activities: Some areas offer interactive experiences like feeding sessions or educational talks.
- Conservation Efforts: The zoo is involved in various conservation programs and educational initiatives. Don’t miss the chance to learn about their conservation work.
La Aurora Zoo Exhibits
La Aurora Zoo features a variety of exhibits showcasing animals from different regions of the world. Here are some of the prominent exhibits you might find:
- Big Cats: This exhibit typically houses majestic animals like jaguars, pumas, and sometimes other large felines.
- Primate Area: Home to different species of monkeys and primates, allowing visitors to observe their behavior up close.
- Aviaries: These house a diverse range of bird species, often showcasing colorful parrots, toucans, and other exotic birds.
- Reptile House: A section dedicated to reptiles, where visitors can see various snakes, lizards, and amphibians.
- Aquatic Exhibits: These areas often host aquatic creatures like fish and amphibians, showcasing different water-based ecosystems.
- Animal-Specific Exhibits: Some areas are dedicated to specific animals, such as African elephants, Bengal tigers, or other iconic species.
La Aurora Zoo Fun Facts
Certainly! Here are some interesting facts about La Aurora Zoo:
- History: La Aurora Zoo, established in 1924, is one of the oldest zoos in Latin America, showcasing a diverse collection of animals.
- Conservation Efforts: The zoo actively participates in conservation and breeding programs for endangered species, contributing to global conservation efforts.
- Size and Scope: Spanning approximately 17 hectares, the zoo houses a wide array of animal species from different continents.
- Education and Awareness: The zoo prioritizes education, offering programs and information to raise awareness about wildlife conservation and the importance of preserving natural habitats.
- Species Diversity: La Aurora Zoo houses over 1,000 animals, representing more than 200 species, including mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians.
- Interactive Programs: Visitors can participate in various interactive activities, such as feeding sessions and educational talks, enhancing the overall experience.
- Research and Development: The zoo is involved in research projects aimed at better understanding animal behavior, conservation, and habitat preservation.
- Botanical Gardens: In addition to the animal exhibits, the zoo features botanical gardens with a variety of plants and trees, creating a more immersive experience for visitors.
- Collaborations: La Aurora Zoo collaborates with other zoos and conservation organizations globally, promoting the exchange of knowledge and best practices in animal care and conservation.
- Local Community Engagement: The zoo often engages with the local community through educational programs, workshops, and events focused on environmental awareness and wildlife conservation.
La Aurora Zoo Foods
La Aurora Zoo typically offers various dining options within its premises, ranging from snack bars to more substantial dining facilities. The food options often include:
- Snack Bars: These areas provide quick snacks like sandwiches, hot dogs, ice cream, and beverages.
- Cafeterias or Restaurants: Some parts of the zoo might have larger dining facilities where visitors can enjoy a sit-down meal, often offering a broader menu selection with local and international dishes.
- Vending Machines: These might be scattered around the zoo, providing quick bites and beverages for on-the-go snacking.
Best time to visit La Aurora Zoo
The best time to visit La Aurora Zoo is during the dry season, which runs from November to May. During this time, the weather is mild and sunny, making it ideal for walking around the zoo. The animals are also more active during the dry season, as they don’t have to worry about finding food and water.
If you are unable to visit during the dry season, the next best time to visit is during the shoulder season, which runs from June to October. During this time, the weather can be a bit more unpredictable, but it is still generally pleasant. The animals may be less active during the shoulder season, but you will also have fewer crowds to contend with.
It is important to avoid visiting La Aurora Zoo during the rainy season, which runs from May to October. During this time, the weather can be hot and humid, and there is a high risk of thunderstorms. The animals may also be less active during the rainy season, as they try to stay dry.
Here are some additional tips for visiting La Aurora Zoo at the best time:
- Visit on a weekday to avoid the crowds.
- Arrive early in the morning, when the zoo is less crowded and the animals are more active.
- Take breaks throughout the day to rest and cool off.
- Bring plenty of water and sunscreen.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing.
- Be respectful of the animals and their habitats.
How to Reach La Aurora Zoo
The zoo is located in the heart of Guatemala City, on Boulevard Liberación. You can take a taxi or ride-sharing service from anywhere in the city, or take public transportation. The closest bus stop is the “Zoológico La Aurora” stop on the Transmetro line.
La Aurora Zoo Opening TImings
La Aurora Zoo’s opening time is Tuesday to Sunday, 09:00 am to 04:00 pm, and the zoo is closed on Monday.
La Aurora Zoo Ticket Prices
Admission fees for La Aurora Zoo are as follows:
- Adults: Q50
- Children (ages 3-12): Q25
- Seniors (ages 65+): Q25
- Students (with ID): Q25
You can book your online ticket from the official website here.
Tips for visiting La Aurora Zoo
Here are a few tips for visiting La Aurora Zoo:
- Wear comfortable shoes, as you will be doing a lot of walking.
- Bring a hat and sunscreen, as the zoo can be quite hot and sunny.
- Bring a water bottle, as there are limited places to buy drinks inside the zoo.
- If you are visiting with children, be sure to keep an eye on them at all times.
- Be respectful of the animals and their habitats.
Map of La Aurora Zoo in Guatemala
La Aurora Zoo Address
5ta calle Interior Finca La Aurora Z 13 Ciudad de Guatemala, 01013, Guatemala
Phone number: +502 2463 0463
- Where is La Aurora Zoo located?
La Aurora Zoo is located in Guatemala City, the capital of Guatemala.
- What are the zoo’s operating hours?
The operating hours may vary, so it’s recommended to check the official website or contact the zoo directly for the most up-to-date information on opening and closing times.
- How much is the entrance fee?
Admission fees can change, and there might be different rates for adults, children, and seniors. Refer to the official website or contact the zoo for current pricing.
- Are there guided tours available?
Yes, La Aurora Zoo often offers guided tours. Check with the zoo for details on tour availability, schedules, and any additional costs.
- Can I bring outside food into the zoo?
Typically, outside food is not allowed. However, many zoos have designated picnic areas or on-site dining options. Check the zoo’s policies for specifics.
- Is La Aurora Zoo suitable for children?
Yes, La Aurora Zoo is family-friendly and offers various attractions and exhibits suitable for children. Educational programs and events are often available.
- Are there any special events or programs at the zoo?
Zoos often host special events, educational programs, and animal encounters. Visit the official website or inquire at the zoo for information on any upcoming events.
- Can I take photographs inside the zoo?
Photography policies may vary. In many cases, visitors are allowed to take photographs for personal use, but restrictions may apply in certain areas. Check with the zoo for their specific photography guidelines.
- Is there parking available at La Aurora Zoo?
Yes, the zoo usually provides parking facilities. Be sure to confirm parking details, including any associated fees.
- How can I get to La Aurora Zoo from the city center?
Depending on your location, you can use various transportation options, including taxis, public buses, or private vehicles. It’s advisable to check with the zoo for recommended transportation methods.
- How big is the La Aurora Zoo?
La Aurora Zoo covers an area of approximately 17 hectares (about 42 acres).
- Does the zoo offer wheelchair services?
La Aurora Zoo typically provides wheelchair services for visitors who require them.
- What is the LA Zoo known for?
La zoo is also known as Parque Zoológico La Aurora.
More than 2000 animals in La Aurora Zoo
15. Is food allowed in La Aurora Zoo?